Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday Musings - Art Making, Art Distribution, Art Mentoring


I promised a weekly blog post. Monday mornings. Here is the second in that commitment.



I have been contemplating a bunch of ideas lately. Some have to do with artmaking, some with art distribution and some with the sharing of my knowledge. Not all of these ideas are "fit to print" yet. But I can share some thoughts I have been having.



Art Making - This is really about my time management. I find it very easy to fritter away the day and get nothing done. Well, I do get things done, but weeks/months can go by without any darkroom or sometimes even shooting work getting done. So I am committing myself to some kind of art production every week. Doing it feeds my soul. So what better reason should there be? One needs to feed the soul frequently. And by doing this...my work will continue to evolve and mature. New series, new concepts, even new subjects will emerge. I need to move forward.



Art Distribution - With the bad (not a strong enough word?) economy, sales last year were dismal in the art world. Galleries are closing in droves. Grant money for artists is drying up. So we are all scrambling to figure out what we need to do to survive until things pick up. What we can do to insure that we are still producing art when it does? How can I, personally, put my work in the hands of those who really appreciate it? Putting a sale price on the work is the start of a slippery slope down. It cheapens the whole body of your work. And certainly can give a sense of devaluing it for those who have purchased from you at a higher price. So in conversation with other artists....ideas have evolved. I am not ready to make any official announcement yet...but if you think you will be interested in learning more about this....stay tuned by signing up for my website newsletter, which is where I will be making the announcement. I expect to have it all figured out by the end of the month. Or sooner. http://data.fineartstudioonline.com/dataviewer.asp?keyvalue=11230&page=Email%20Newsletter

Art Mentoring - For the past year or so, off and on, I have been mentoring a wonderful commercial photographer who would like to move her work into Fine Art. It has been a great learning experience for both of us, I think. I have enjoyed the process. I have been approached by a few more people about this idea. Mainly from commercial equine photographers who would like to build a larger more focused portfolio of Fine Art imagery. So I am, this week, putting together an online mentoring package and continuing critiques concept that I think will be great. Through my experience as the director of the Ex Arte Equinus the equine art competition sponsored by Art Horse Magazine, I have seen a great many wonderful images by commercial shooters that just need that small push...that bit of focus and understanding of what it means to create ART. How technical expertise and PhotoShop trickery are not the main tools for creation when talking Art. If you have any interest in learning more about my mentoring program...let me know and I will be sure to send you the details as soon as they are ready. I am working on getting that out in the next week or so. You can email me directly at julietharrison@earthlink.net.



One more little news to share - My photograph, Homage to KC, has been published in the "Animal Magnetism" show catalog from PhotoPlace Gallery at the Vermont Photography Workplace. You can purchase a copy through this link - http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1118244



Thanks for sharing a bit of your Monday with me. I will talk to you again next week...if not before!

Juliet

http://www.julietrharrisonphotography.com/

5 comments:

Sheona Hamilton Grant said...

Look forward to next Monday too. The idea of mentoring is good and I'm sure will take off.
Also really like the image of the Clydesdale...Scotland?

Juliet said...

Oops, the pressure is on now. I will have to be sure to make next Monday interesting too. Huh? I am looking forward to seeing if there is any interest in the mentoring.
And the Clydes...of course...Glasgow.

Julie Blair said...

Glad to see you posting more and a good read! Happy New Year!

Fiona Purdy said...

I'm really interested to hear what you're going to say next Monday Juliet, pricing is quite a dilemma right now. I've heard a few different opinions about this.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Good post Juliet looking forward to next Monday :)

Loved the Clydesdale...hoping to paint some of those this year.