Monday, February 22, 2010

Taxes and Technology...Grrrrr!


Ah, Monday again. And you have been waiting, I know, for my new post. But I have to be honest....I am not very happy today.

Yesterday I did the prep that needed to happen for us to give our accountant the figures to do up our taxes. We don't do them ourselves because we have income from many different sources and it gets very complicated. for the last 6 0r 7 years I have been treating the photography as a part of the general business that I do as a freelance bookkeeper and in the past as an eBay seller. Last year was the first year that I did not do any selling on eBay and very little bookkeeping. And it showed in the numbers. I have a sneaking suspicion that my accountant is going to tell me that making art is clearly a hobby, since I spent so much more than I made. Framing costs a great deal when preparing for a large show the way I did last year. And then there were the costs of creating the book. Well at least these are all inventory and are still available to sell in the future. They are not perishable.

Today seemed to be going great.....but now it appears that some kind of virus has attacked my PC and it is down. Got a call into my tech guy. I hope he can get over here and get it up and running. There is a lot I need to be able to retrieve from it. At least I have my laptop....but it has an external cd/dvd drive that also seems to not want to work. I wanted to download music for my trip to Santa Fe on Wed.

Yes I am off for a brief vacation. I have a very good friend who is in Santa Fe this winter and I am going to visit. I have always wanted to go to New Mexico, so I figured this was the perfect opportunity. I am bringing two film cameras and lots of film. I plan to spend some time exploring the landscape and the galleries!

The opening of the CCCA 14th Annual Juried Art show was on Saturday. It was a wonderful mix of work, very well hung in the space at the Hudson Opera House. Frozen and Raindance are nicely displayed and in good company.

Lastly, I wanted to announce my Silver Seconds Auction blog. One this blog, for the next few months I will be running 5 day auctions of some of my Gelatin Silver Prints that I don't feel are quite as good as my gallery or website images, but are still deserving of good homes. These prints are created in my darkroom with the same meticulous care as any of my prints. Some are older works. The opening bid on all of these prints is $20.00, with bids to increase at $5.00 increments. Take a look....The first auction is on now and will end tomorrow at noon EST. http://silversecondsauctions.blogspot.com/


Ok...I guess that is it for today. I have to take some time now to pack up the two prints going to the Rocky Mountain Horse Expo's inaugural art show. They have to be shipped before I go away this week. The Expo takes place outside of Denver, Colorado March 12-14.


If I don't post while I am in Santa Fe....I will fill in about my trip in next weeks blog! Enjoy your week....I am sure that I will. Even with the technology breakdowns....how bad a week can it be when you are going on vacation!?!


Juliet

2 comments:

Cathy said...

WElcome to the blogoshere Juliet! I admire your drive to do it! Hope you have an awesome time in New Mexico. I've heard the landscape will blow the minds of us Northeasterners - looking forward to seeing your pics!

Sheona Hamilton Grant said...

NM will do you a world of good and I'm sure you will love it. Have a great time and like Cathy looking forward to seeing your pics ;)