Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Little Bit Late - part 2
















Time for part 2 of the last few weeks.

Last week I had the great pleasure to visit my very good friend Eliza Twichell in New Mexico. I went from Wednesday through Sunday. Although I have been out West before, I had not been to New Mexico and so I was thrilled to get to go there. I have always looked at the work of Georgia O'Keeffe for inspiration.

Several of the days we spent in Santa Fe checking out the galleries. I met some wonderful people running those galleries. I would like to mention the Verve Gallery ( http://vervegalleryofphotography.com/?p=welcome), which specializes in contemporary photography and the Meyer East Gallery ( http://www.meyereastgallery.com/home/ ) which carries general contemporary art. Both of these galleries have beautiful work in them. But even more important was how welcoming they were there.

One day was spent North of the city in the Red Hills. We wandered around Ghost Ranch..communing with the spirit of Georgia O'Keeffe. Drove to the beautiful and calming hot springs ob Ojo Callente for a late day soak before heading back to the city.

I took lots of B&W film with me along with both my 35mm and 2 1/4 cameras. I knew that I would not be spending time around horses...so it was the perfect opportunity to explore other imagery. I was inspired by the buildings, landscape and plant life. There will be many new pieces that will come out of the darkroom from this trip.

I think, as an artist, it is always important to stretch yourself to see what new vision is inside of you. To do that...sometimes you have to have a bit of a change in what is outside for a few days.

Juliet

4 comments:

Kpeters said...

Juliet, You never cease to amaze me. The first image is wonderful.

I want to see more!

kp

Linda Shantz said...

Wow - great stuff. Glad you had a good trip.

Juliet said...

I promise to post more...probably on FB, as I can so larger groupings of the images there. Thanks guys.....I love knowing that my non-horsey stuff still rings so true. Like you Kathi...it may figure more strongly in my future work. Although, what I realize is that I am a good photographer in general...but it is the Equiscapes that make me "remarkable".

Ruth Andre said...

You are really branching out and I love the horses and I also love the non-horsey photos. Very nice.